H. Scott Gordon did his graduate work in economics at Columbia University and McGill University. In 1966, he came to Indiana University as professor in the Department of Economics. In 1983, his appointment was split between the economics department and the Department of the History and Philosophy of Science. He retired in 1988.
In 1970, Gordon was appointed to the faculty at Queen’s University (Kingston, Ontario) to teach a summer course for graduate students in the history of economic theory. He continued to do this until 1996.
Professor Gordon’s initial research centered on monetary theory and policy, and the economics of natural resource industries. In the latter area, a paper of his on the economic theory of common property resources such as sea fisheries has been frequently reprinted since its publication in 1954.