Funding FAQs

We typically provide four or five years of funding to a select group of incoming, full-time Ph.D. students. Although the formula may sometimes vary, this funding usually begins with a year of fellowship and three or four years of teaching assistantships. Fifth year fees tend to be low because students have finished all course work and are enrolled for dissertation research hours only.

Departmental awards are based entirely on academic criteria and U.S. and international students are considered equally. We can usually fund about three students per year. Some special university awards may increase the funding period to five or even six years.

Check the pages listed below for special fellowship opportunities. When applying for admission, alert the Director of Graduate Studies to any special fellowships that you believe you might be eligible for.

The GradGrants Center can help current students find external funding. Pay particular attention to these external sources:

Each spring, the entire faculty meets to review the progress of fourth-year students and to make decisions about the continuation of funding for these students.

Your progress will be considered satisfactory if you have:

  • completed all the requirements for admission to candidacy by the end of March of your fourth year
  • maintained a cumulative graduate GPA of at Ieast 3.2 throughout your graduate career.

Students who are pursuing a dual-degree Ph.D. are allowed some flexibility in the timing of the completion of their degree requirements.

With support from the College of Arts and Sciences and the University Graduate School, students holding fellowships and assistantships receive fee remissions of up to 24 credit hours of degree-related courses per year. Standard graduate student health benefits are provided according to standing university policies.

Current and prospective students should refer to the financial aid pages of the University Graduate School and to the Graduate and Professional Student Organization for the latest information. Special information for international students regarding costs, fees, and health benefits is available at the website for International Admissions.

Unfortunately, the department cannot guarantee fellowships or assistantships for students seeking master’s degrees in HPSC. Funding is also not guaranteed for students who enter as master’s students and are subsequently approved for entry into the Ph.D. program, although such students have generally had some support on an ad hoc basis from teaching and research assistantships that become available at short notice.

The most up-to-date information is available from the IU Office of the Bursar. Funded students are responsible for paying mandatory fees. Unfunded students must also pay the per credit hour tuition costs, at either the Indiana resident or non-resident rate, as appropriate.

Some of the departmental fellowships offered to Ph.D. students include a modest travel budget. However, most students are dependent on submitting competitive grant proposals for conference and research travel. The HPSC department itself has the Richard S. Westfall Fellowship for Graduate Student Research Travel. Conference travel support is available from the College, the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs, and from the Graduate and Professional Student Government organization. The University Graduate School also offers grants in aid of research, which can be used to cover research-related travel expenses.